Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ornament Party

Last night was my first Ornament Exchange Party experience. I've been invited to three over the years but have never been able to go. This was my first one.

The theme was "Old Fashioned, Vintage, Retro". I was very confused by that at first. Apparently a lot of people were because a lot of people emailed the hostess, my sister in law Christy. She explained that the theme was really anything you consider vintage or retro or anything really. Use our imaginations and have fun...So we did! The ornaments were all very different, which I think was actually the point, and it was a lot of fun.

I was still a little confused, so I brought two ornaments. The first one was a pink, high heeled shoe with rhinestones all over it. I thought that was kind of vintage/retro-y. Then I got the pickle ornament. I enclosed the legend of the pickle in the ornament bag and hoped that counted for "traditional/old fashioned", since it's a really old story/tradition.

For those of you who have never been to an ornament exchange party, here's how it goes. You bring a wrapped ornament according to the theme. Then you put them in the middle in a big bunch. Everyone draws numbers after you are all seated around the ornaments. Whoever draws "1" goes first. They pick an ornament from the middle and open it. You say who brought that ornament and everyone ooh's and aah's. :) Then whoever drew "2" goes next. Then it's kind of like "Rob Your Neighbor". 2 can either pick a new present and open it, OR steal 1's ornament. It goes on and on until the last person picks their ornament (12 in our case last night). After the last person picks their ornament from the bunch (or if they steal, whoever they steal from can take the last ornament or steal from someone else, etc.) then the game is over and you keep whichever ornament(s) you got.

It was a lot of fun! I brought Dominick because Nick wanted to continue working on our hardwood floors. And Dominick was SO good. It helped that Nani was there. Kids and grandparents, I swear. Dominick is always an angel for Nani or Maw Maw, but can be such a stinker for Mama and Daddy! I was very proud of him.

Back to the ornaments. I got a fun retro/vintage high heel and purse ornament combo:




And Nick's mom got a retro Santa. She gave the Santa to Dominick (our tree is a little bare at the moment!) and we love both ornaments! They are already (obviously - from the pictures) hanging on the tree and we love them.



I don't think my friends have enough time to squeeze in an ornament exchange party, not with the game night we already do, but I'd love to keep going to this one! I had a lot of fun!!

And again, it helped get me even MORE in the Christmas Spirit! :)

1 comment:

Les said...

FUN! We should do one next year!!

I LOVE ornaments & you can NEVER have too many ... something I have learned from grandparents & parents, all with multiple trees with themes in their homes :-)