Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sick

So I've been sick for about 2 weeks now. Usually I get sick every winter and it's a quick 24 hour stomach bug. I'm throwing up and miserable for a day but then it's over. So far, I've avoided this. But I have a congestion/sinus/cold thingy going on.

I was struggling but dealing with it, fairly well. I called my OB the other day and they told me to take Tylenol Cold and Sinus or Sudafed and that was basically it. I'd have to wait it out.

Which I was trying to do. But finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I started getting a shooting pain in my throat every time I swallowed and I was coughing worse. I didn't want to pass this on to anyone else and I'm going to be seeing a lot of people coming up. So I went ahead and called my family doctor.

They could get me in yesterday at 2:20. So I left work and headed to the doc. I was in the room waiting for the doc by 2:25 (and actually on my way home by 2:46!!). So it was a good quick visit to the doc.

When the doc came in, he asked what was going on. I told him that I wasn't feeling well and described my symptoms. He looked in my throat and said he didn't see anything. I was a little swollen but nothing bad. Then he decided to look in my ears.

That was where the bad news was. He told me that I have so much fluid on my ears that he's surprised it took me this long to come in. I told him that my ears don't even hurt!! He was shocked they don't hurt. I have to take an accelerated dosage of amoxicillin and sudafed and come back to see him in 2 weeks. I can't take ibuprofen for the pain since I'm pregnant but if the pain gets back, he'll write me a prescription for a safe steroid. He also said if the fluid hasn't gone down in two weeks, then I'll need to get tubes in my ears.

I laughed. Don't only toddlers and elementary school kids get tubes in their ears!? I'm 26, about to be 27 years old! Weird.

But I'm doing as I'm told.

My dosage of Amox is 2 - 500mg tablets, three times daily. So 3,000 mg of Amoxicillin a day! Plus sudafed. If I don't start feeling better soon, I don't know what to do!

So that's the plan. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't need tubes! How crazy would that be...

No comments: